Sunday, December 11, 2005

The day the music died

Well I went to go recharge my iPod this evening only to discover it stolen! Instantly my lovely hostel transformed from its former paradise to a bastion of thieves and highwaymen. Luckily the bandit had the courtesy of stealing it a week before Dev and the gang head down here, so with a little help from Gav, hopefully he can bring a new mp3 player down with him. Normally I wouldn't go out and buy a new one, given that the equivalent is worth a week of living down here, but the thought of all those 10 hour chicken bus rides with nothing but the generic salsa music pumping through the bus speakers has haunted me for the last few hours until I made up my mind. I know what many of you are thinking, why would you leave your valuables out in the open like that, but alas, I did not! Being one of my most prized items, it was safely stowed in my locker, right next to my bunk. The locker doors have these different, beautiful shapes carved throughout them, most all the way through which create perfect little holes. After noticing it gone, looking everywhere for an hour (even though I knew exactly where it had been), swearing at the world for another couple hours, then briefly looking for someone else's to steal (kidding!....kind of...), I borrowed someone else's and discovered that its actually quite easy to reach in with pretty much anything (I used scissors) and slowly maneuver it out of the locker. It didn't take long to realize that the only reason it was gone was because of these carvings, which would not have existed in a crappier hostel, the irony was not lost on me. Im convinced that the slimy little Israeli guy that slept below me was the one who snagged it, and this after I lent my shampoo to him to wash his greasy hair, at least I got that back...and although he thought it was Pert Plus, it was actually low grade shampoo that I had refilled the bottle with in Honduras, sucker! Aside from this excitement, not much else has taken place worth noting. Yesterday I took a little day trip to Masaya, which boasts one of the top craft marketplaces in Central America, and polished off my christmas shopping (actually started AND polished it off). None of the stuff down here has any sort of use, and since I'm really quite bad at picking out decorative items, for those that are getting gifts from me...don't expect much! On the way to and from the market I listened to The Doors on my lovely ipod....*sniff* *sniff*...poor ipod...I better log outta here before I breakdown. Adios!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home