Friday, November 25, 2005

Paradise Found?

Have to keep this short because my time is limited here and the internet on this island isn't overly cheap! Bay Islands are incredible. Was a hassle getting here given that we had to make a huge detour for a washed out bridge and then board a cargo ship (the regular ferry broke down). I don't think I've ever seen so many people throwing up in such a short time. The thing was the pinnacle of motion sickness, Randy, you would have loved it. Luckily I avoided this messy fate by keeping my eyes on the horizon at all times...literally for an hour and forty minutes my eyes did not move, maybe on the way back I can charter some kind of helicopter. Utila, the island we're on, really is what you would picture when you think of paradise. White sand beaches, tiny little town lined with good food and bars. In honour of the american thanksgiving, one of the places put on a big dinner, so me, Jason and Adam (from Seattle) jumped on the opportunity of having turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. It was a glorious event and the highlight of the day. We planned on starting dive school today...but then we got lazy and now it's been pushed to Monday. In the meantime we've just been hanging out at the beach and thinking of activities that would be great to do, but would interfere far too much with our beach sitting. The town of Utila itself is in a bit of a funny state though. There's an election on the 27th (*ahem*, not the only big event that day!) and the two parties seem neck and neck. One of the parties, led by the great Pepe (who's triumphant posters we see everywhere) is trying a sneaky move by boating people to Utila from the mainland to get them to vote for him. This is an underpopulated riding, so its a pretty tricky tactic and is not being greeted well by the other supporters. That being said, tensions are running a little high here so they've cut off all alchohol sales until the day after the election. In anticipation of this we spent an hour before dinner stockpiling our cabinets with rum for the coming celebration of my birthday on Sunday. Well thats that, any longer on the internet here and I'm going to have to cut my trip short by a few months. Hasta Luega!

The lack of pictures is bugging me too, it's really ruining my ability to properly brag, but the internet here is just soooo slow. Ill have a picture day soon and repopulate my latest entries with pics! A thousand more apologies.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

hi jord:

we were talking about you here at the office and somebody suggested inviting you to our christmas party. so would like to join us on dec 15th?

'appy b'day to you too.

:-)
Mark

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home