Sunday, November 20, 2005

Back To Guatemala!

Mike and I spent another two days lazying around Placencia before heading off to Punta Gorda saturday morning. A tropical storm, which was then upgraded to a hurricane hit us Thursday and destroyed any chances of future good weather for the time being. We hunkered down in our little cabana for friday night with the odd look outside to see the 50mph winds throwing stuff around the beach. Took a mini ferry through the managroves (picture the florida everglades...) on saturday morning, then grabbed a 2 hour bus ride down to Punta Gorda. We had been hoping to hit the Garafuna Settlement day celebration, but we were a day late. Although we arrived on the right day, and the entire country was celebrating on this day, the one town that decides to celebrate the night before is Punta Gorda. Screw it, we celebrated it ourselves with two other travellers (a guy from France and a guy from Sacremento). After more than enough Belikins (dont worry Jacky, I had one for you..and then another, and then one for pretty much everyone else I know), we wandered back to our hostel where we were kept awake most of the night by what sounded like a dying dog. Following that an army marched through the hostel and right past our, at least it sounded like an army based on what I could hear from my bed. After investigating both incidents in the morning, all I could find was a very lively dog parked outside my window and no signs of an army. We hoped on a boat to Puerto Barrios (back to Guatemala) and upon arriving, I parted ways with Mike (who we hope to meet back up with in the Bay Islands of Honduras in about a week). It was interesting navigating this town without a map or any information and every small accomplishment seemed like a tremendous victory. Trying to get a boat to Livingston I was told by two guys that boats didnt go there on Sundays, then offering me places to stay until tomorrow. How odd..I could have sworn they ran every day. Found the ticket booth and sure enough there was a boat leaving in an hour, looked behind me and the two swindlers were walking away in defeat. Unfortunately the boat was more money than I had on me, so I asked where to find a bank. No banks are open...Sunday, came the reply, but he would be willing to convert some of my lovely american money right there on the spot, for only a small comission. Lies! ATMs are always open...so after getting broken directions for an hour, and missing the first boat, I found a beautiful ATM on the other side of town. It may not seem like much, but it was quite the accomplishment at the time. Got to Livingston, grabbed a room and will basically just putter around this town until Jasons arrival on monday or tuesday. Might do a river tour tomorrow to eat up some time, we shall see. Adios!

No pictures, this computer has no USB port....booo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home