Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Honduras!

Wasn´t actually expecting to update this for a while, but Jason just lost his bank card so we had to make an internet pit stop! My last two days in Livingston were pretty easy going. I basically just read the entire time while sitting on the hotel roof, drinking rum and cokes, life is tough on the carribean...

I did end up doing the tour up the Rio Dulce, not once but twice! Most people only do it once, but given that I had to go up the river at least once to see the stuff, then back down to Livingston in order to meet up with Jas, I had no choice. The first time was alright, basically just took a boat down a wide jungle river, saw some sulphur vents and a lot of vultures, but other than that there was nothing too eventful. Had some pizza in Rio Dulce, the town, then headed back for my return trip. Since the others in the boat hadn´t done the tour, they wanted the full deal, so I loaded up some Weezer, sat back and enjoyed the ride. For some reason the guide decided to take umpteen times longer to do the return trip and it sent me on some real ups and downs. I made mental notes of my anguish in accordance to the different Weezer albums:

1st Album (Blue Album): This is great, nice day out, good tunes, on the carribean in Guatemala...life is good.

2nd Album (Green Album): Why is this guy taking so long? My first tour was already done at this point and we´re not even a fraction of the way through this one. Maybe he doesn´t realize that I have very important things planned for tonight, like finishing my book and organizing a winning strategy to beat my palm pilot at chess.

3rd Album (Pinkerton): I hate my tour guide, and all the French Canadians on my boat because they´re having so much fun seeing stuff slowly. Any slower than this and it would cause some kind of cosmic singularity that would actually send us back in time.

4th Album (Make Believe): Man I´m a whiner, Im on a river boat in Guatemala with 300 albums at my disposal, who cares if we´re slow and I don´t understand a word anyone says. Life is good.

And such goes another day in my strange world. Anyhow, Jason arrived early this morning at 11, actually not that early, given that ever since the jungle trip Ive been unable to sleep in past 6:30am. We decided instead of staying in Livingston, we would make a mad dash for Honduras and get as close to the Bay Islands as possible. Boat to Puerto Barrius, Colectivo (minibus) to the Honduran border, another bus to Puerto Cortes (now in Honduras) then another minibus to San Pedro. We tried to get right to La Ciela (the departure for Bay Island ferries) but were thrwarted by a lack of bus drivers, so here we are in San Pedro Sula. Look it up on the internet, you probably won´t find much more than a strange picture of a very dirty city surrounding a church. I love lonely planet´s advice for this city, ´Dont stay here´, awesome. Our hotel was surprised that someone actually wanted to rent a room out for an entire night, but it is quite clean. Ate some pizza and lasagna and everything was going fine until Jason just lost his bank card. By tomorrow afternoon we should be sipping rum and cokes on Utila (One of the bay islands) and looking at dive shops for our certification. Rumour has it that the internet is quite expensive there, so there may be a shortage of blog updates, but who knows. Thats it for now, Adios!

Pictures! Again...no pictures, didn´t expect to be stopping by the internet so didn´t bring my camera, a thousand apologies.

1 Comments:

Blogger Devon said...

I'm pretty sure steve's week revolves around reading these blog entries 100 times as a means to get through life.

Yes I went there.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home